The Census reported that 48,137 people (99.4% of the population) lived in households, 98 (0.2%) lived in non-institutionalized group quarters, and 210 (0.4%) were institutionalized.
There were 23,117 households, out of which 4,253 (18.4%) had children under the age of 18 living in them, 10,253 (44.4%) were opposite-sex married couples living together, 2,177 (9.4%) had a female householder with no husband present, 811 (3.5%) had a male householder with no wife present. There were 1,227 (5.3%) unmarried opposite-sex partnerships, and 373 (1.6%) same-sex married couples or partnerships. 7,948 households (34.4%) were made up of individuals and 4,370 (18.9%) had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.08. There were 13,241 families (57.3% of all households); the average family size was 2.65.
The population was spread out with 7,534 people (15.6%) under the age of 18, 3,333 people (6.9%) aged 18 to 24, 8,731 people (18.0%) aged 25 to 44, 12,924 people (26.7%) aged 45 to 64, and 15,923 people (32.9%) who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 53.0 years. For every 100 females, there were 88.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 86.4 males.
There were 37,073 housing units at an average density of 1,372.4 per square mile (529.9/km2), of which 15,171 (65.6%) were owner-occupied, and 7,946 (34.4%) were occupied by renters. The homeowner vacancy rate was 5.0%; the rental vacancy rate was 16.8%. 30,667 people (63.3% of the population) lived in owner-occupied housing units and 17,470 people (36.1%) lived in rental housing units.
According to the 2010 United States Census, Palm Desert had a median household income of $53,456, with 9.2% of the population living below the federal poverty line.
Desert Sands Unified School District
- James Earl Carter Elementary (K-5)
- Abraham Lincoln Elementary (K-5)
- Palm Desert High School (9-12)
- Palm Desert Charter Middle School (6-8)
- George Washington Charter School (K-5)
- Desert Torah Academy (1-8)
- Education Station (Preschool – 6)
- Hope Lutheran School (Preschool – K)
- King’s Schools (Infants through 8th grade)
- Montessori School of The Desert (Preschool – K)
- Montessori School of The Valley (Preschool – 3)
- Palm Desert Community Presbyterian (Preschool – K)
- Sacred Heart School (K-8)
- St.Margaret’s Episcopal School (Preschool – 8)
- The Learning Tree (Preschool – 5)
- Xavier College Preparatory High School (9-12)
Colleges and Universities:
- College of the Desert
- Brandman University
- California State University,San Bernardino (CSUSB)
- University of California Riverside (UCR)
- The Living Desert Zoo and Gardens
- Shop for designer goods on El Paseo
- Visit the Palm Springs Art Museum in Palm Desert
- See a performance at the McCallum Theatre for the Performing Arts
- Take a San Andreas Fault tour
- Golfing, of course!
- Go to the College of the Desert Street Fair